Sunday, November 1, 2009

My Dream Classroom

Every teacher dreams of having the perfect classroom. What that entails of is certainly indicative of the teacher. Personally, my classroom would be visually appealing to my students, but also include educational tools that would enhance the learning experience. In this day in age, a student's learning experience is dependent upon the available educational technology. Unfortunately a vast majority of students are unable to benefit from the technology due to a school district's financial problems; however, that doesn't stop teachers, such as myself, from dreaming!

I made a promise to myself that I would never simply just lecture by standing in front of the classroom and dictating notes. Ever since I was introduced to power point, I envisioned myself relying on that as a way to reach my visual learners. My recent interaction with the Mimio Board strengthened my desire for the power point software. Not only would I be to use the Mimio to display power point presentations, but I would be able to display video and allow the students to interact with the material. This strategy would be beneficial for my kinesthetic learners.

In many of the lesson plans that I have created I have required the students to use computers readily available in a computer lab. While the computer lab is wonderful to have, I would prefer to have laptops readily available in the classroom. My brand of choice has always been a Dell; therefore, I would invest in a classroom set of Dell laptops that students can use for writing in Microsoft Word, researching through preapproved websites, and using graphic software to create themed illustrations. I believe the laptops would be a wonderful asset to not only my teaching methods but to my students' learning strategies as well.

As a Social Studies teacher, I tend to incorporate lots of dramatizations in my lesson plans. I firmly believe that by reenacting certain parts of history, students learn much more! They are able to experience what was and then be able to formulate their own opinions about today's society. After all, history does repeat itself, doesn't it? To document the dramatizations, I would like to have a few audio/visual recording devices so that students can have copies of what they have accomplished. It also makes for an interesting souviner to look back on ten years from now. I am a fan of Sony, so I would invest in Sony HD Handycams. Not only are they easy to work with, but the picture quality is amazing! The Handycam also allows students to take digital pictures, which is definately a plus!

Obviously much of teaching centers around educational technology. Sometimes I like to be simple and not include the high tech tools, but I believe these genius resources are available for a reason; why not use them? Twenty years from now, technology will probably evolve and new gadgets will be available. It is my responsibility as a teacher to pave the road for my students' success, so my lesson plans must include the tools that will help them in every way possible. Unfortunately, money has and will always be a factor as to what is available. As my parents always told me, money doesn't grow on trees. Just for once, wouldn't it be nice?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment